Wednesday 29 February 2012

Feathers, Kidston and jam jars, oh my!



You're going to think I have become obsessed with decor, and the truth is I have. This was always going to happen - I'm a person who even managed to change The Sims from a strategic life simulation video game (thanks Wikipedia!) to a delightful Grand Designs-style hobby, where I take on the role of a God-like Kevin McCloud, building and decorating properties for my pixels to live in. As a result, the look of our wedding has become something of an obsession.

Unfortunately, this brings me back to the tasteful versus personal dilemma. And once again, I would like to place the blame for causing this panic squarely on the growing number of edgy brides chipping away at my confidence in their magazine and blog interviews.

I have seen countless pictures of falling-down barns and ruined chapels decked out in bunting, antique bicycles waiting to be pedalled off into the sunset, tables set up in rose gardens and adorned with vintage lace tablecloths and jam jars filled with freshly-cut wildflowers. All of this is delightful - a Cath Kidston-esque mix of personal and informal (and we'll ignore the fact that quaint by Cath costs more than edgy Scandinavian by Ikea, meaning the price is far from shabby chic).

The problem is, I am tying the knot in inner-city Manchester. In February. There will be no wild flowers to cut, the bike will be stolen, the lace tablecloths will blow away, and the jam jars will just look a little bit sad and will probably be filled with nothing but my tears at realising my total failure at decorating a wedding.



That's the point - there's actually a great deal of effort that goes into shabby chic and it's never as thrown together as it looks. So, do I instead go for something more timeless, like candelabras and roses arranged tastefully by a florist rather than flung on the table by me? The problem here is money, as the cost of professional table centrepieces is so expensive it would be cheaper for me to arrange five lottery tickets for each person in a pile - and the guests would probably appreciate that more too.

Anyway, after spending weeks and several blog posts obsessing over décor, I decided I should just get over myself and make a decision. So, I took decisive action and bought some peacock feathers with the thought of arranging them in vases - simple, naturally beautiful, quirky and vintage. Unfortunately, I have since learnt that peacock feathers bring bad luck. And remembered I don't like touching feathers. And have a fear of peacocks.

I think I may go back to playing Grand Designs on The Sims.

No comments:

Post a Comment